Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Grocery Shopping with a Twist

www.google.com/images
Every time I go to the grocery store I always find it extremely boring so I usually go in and come out very quickly. However, for this assignment I actually stayed a bit longer to observe the different shapes, sizes, color and texture of fruit. I love fruit and I am very picky about the fruit I buy, it needs to be the perfect texture, color and shape for me to pick it out. My favorite fruits are apples, oranges, and kiwi therefore they are the ones I buy the most and do not really look at the rest. Even though there I mostly enjoy kiwi, apple, and oranges there are others that I also enjoy in this category such as:
-Strawberries

-Bananas
-Grapes
-Peach
-Pineapple
-Mango
-Lemon
-Pear
-Plum
-Raspberry
-Papaya
-Watermelon
Every fruit has its own texture, size, and shape. According to Schirrmacher and Fox (2009), "texture refers to the surface quality of a work of art...rough, bumpy or smooth, wet sticky or dry" (p.144). When really observing the texture of my favorite fruit (kiwi, apple and oranges) I noticed that they are all different. Kiwi has a rough and dry texture, apples have a shiny and smooth texture, and oranges are rough, sticky and sometimes wet kind of texture. When comparing these fruits to the other fruits in the category, I really noticed that actually every single fruit is different in texture. Pineapples are rough and dry, and grapes are wet and smooth.

When sketching a kiwi, an apple and an orange I really tried to demonstrate the different texture in which each fruit portrays. Not only do fruits have different textures, but they can also be used to make a variety of smoothies, combining many fruits into one drink.The idea of categorizing can be brought into the classroom, it does not necessarily need to be fruits it can be anything that they can categorize based on shape, size or texture.
Apple 

Orange
Kiwi



Schirrmacher, R., & Fox, J.E. (2009). Art and creative development for young children (6th Ed.). Belmont, CA: Delmar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment